22 August 2007

Mountain Climbing

Went driving around Mt Mee this weekend. VERY dry, and the storms and showers this week are much appreciated. Good fun driving. Tried a long, steep, dusty, shale-y hill, but didn't get as far as Geoff's Prado. Didn't really expect to, but you've gotta try, sometimes.

Also didn't manage to follow him thru a tight, twisty and well-holed climb. I have decided that the extra leaf in the rear, although it has increased the ride height and load-carrying capacity, has decreased the amount of rear axle articulation with normal loading. That is, with a bunch more kilos in the boot, the axle would have twisted as much as a standard-sprung Charlie, allowing the wheels to stay on the ground in deeper holes. This was what pulled me up short on the weekend. I wasn't touching the ground with anything but tyres, but too few tyres… A front diff-lock would have helped, as would a (working) rear LSD. Ah well. There's always Christmas…

Photos rarely show a good perspective of climbs, but the vid I took of Geoff's climb should look good, when I get my camera back from Pat.

Couple of the dudes with us were a bit cowboyish. Full throttle, arms and legs akimbo, kids standing on seats etc… I can't figure out how people can let their kids ride in the car with no seat belts. Weird. Maybe they don't like them?



No comments: