10 July 2007

Skreeming for Cigniphicance

Beware: hypocritical rant/ramblings to follow…

When I starting writing this thing, I mentioned that I had given in to it. It's only really just occurred to me what "it" is. It is my perception that everyone writes these things as a cry for significance, in a space that recognises no-one.  "Make me real" we (now) say. "I want to be important to someone!" But "it" is also the fact that with EVERYONE screaming, crying and wailing for attention, who is there left to pay attention? And if they do, who can tell?

I write these things, but why? Do I want to get it off my chest, or do I want to gloat about my own depth of thought? So the hypocrite in me ignores the dissonance, and writes it anyway, hoping for many varied comments on my profound perceptions, while that part of me that is uncomfortable with it hopes that no-one will read it anyway, what with everyone else screaming at the same time.

The internet (and blogs specifically) might very well be one of the last places in "western" society where we want to be more contributors than consumers.  Everywhere else, it's "gimme gimmee", but here, who want to read a well written article, without being able to offer their two cents' worth for all and sundry to see. "That's all well and good, but you didn't think about this" or "No, you're wrong and I have to tell everyone".

No real paradox there, then.  Instead of "gimme" content, it's "gimme" significance.  And here endeth the rant.




I dunno. Whatever.

1 comment:

Luke said...

oh i have been waiting for this!

"...but here, who want to read..."

who want? i don't know who want?

hehehe, in all seriousness, i know what you mean, i often have that conversation with myself, and here we are, blogging and commenting about it...